On the edge of the forest, time seems to stand still in La Mole valley. This is the starting point for many long walks, the village does however have a few carefully guarded secrets. La Mole may cultivate the tranquillity of a small Provencal village surrounded by nature. La Mole is often described as a gateway to the Gulf of Saint-Tropez’ south-west, it really belongs to the Massif des Maures.

The first mention of La Mole as a territory dates back to 1008 in a cartulary charter from the Benedictine Saint-Victor of Marseille Abbey. The medieval village of Sainte-Madeleine was established to the west of the Maravieille plateau on a rocky basalt outcrop. From the end of the 12th century La Mole was partially included in the Chartreuse de La Verne abbey estate, founded in 1170. By the end of the 14th century the area was deserted. Several centuries later an attempt to repopulate it failed and it remained classified as uninhabited until the 1800s. In 1770, the seigniory of La Mole was acquired by Emmanuel de Boyer de Fonscolombe, a knight and King’s advisor in the Provence Parliament to Joseph-Jean-Baptiste de Suffren, marquis of Saint-Tropez and brother of the famous Bailli. The village as you see it today took shape during the 19th century.

Read more: La Mole